Mission and Outreach
A Call to Action!
Join us on Monday, February 5th at Village of Deerfield Board Meeting to petition the board to ban coal tar sealants in Deerfield. See below for more information.
7:30 p.m. at the Village Hall.
Love of Neighbor. Whether near or far, we look for ways to love and help our neighbors. Current and past mission work includes:
- weekly gleaning at the Deerfield Farmers' Market (seasonal)
- preparing and serving PADS dinners
- stocking the West Deerfield Township Food Pantry
- filling cleaning buckets for UCC Disaster Relief
- weekly AA meetings at Trinity
Love of Children. We are called to help children everywhere.
- quarterly trips to pack meals for Feed My Starving Children
- Sunday school sponsorship of a student in Sri Lanka
- Sunday school fundraising for the gift of a goat to Heifer International
- seasonal diaper drive for YWCA Evanston/North Shore
Love of Creation. The Bible reminds us that we are stewards. We seek to achieve global impact through local action. Current work includes:
- sustainable eating seminar
- "Sustaining Creation" seminar with Rev. Dr. Terry Gallagher
- petition to ban coal tar sealants in Deerfield (followed by Lake County and statewide)
Coal tar sealant is toxic, yet it is used on residential driveways, playgrounds, and parking lots associated with commercial businesses, apartment and condominium complexes, churches, schools, and business parks, around the nation and in Deerfield. The risks to human (particularly children's) health and water quality are real and significant. There are safer, alternative products available to use for driveway sealing but, at present, companies are generally only offering this product to communities that have a coal tar ban. Therefore, bans are imperative to safeguard public health.
The mothers of young children at the YWCA Evanston/North Shore domestic violence shelters, “Mary Lou’s Place” and "Bridges", are asking for our assistance. We will be running a Diaper Drive for them from now until Ash Wednesday, February 14. Sizes and types most requested are:
- Diapers size 4, 5, 6
- Pull ups size 2T, 3T, 4T, 5T
- Baby wipes
Any brand is appreciated. There is a box in the Gathering Hall to collect them. Please show your love for our neighbors and their children by donating. If you have questions, please contact Judy Desenis. Thanks in Advance!